I designed two new templates for a brand new email program launched this spring at the Minnesota Orchestra. The templates look simple, but the process for getting here was anything but:
Many arts organizations operate in silos—with marketing and fundraising departments communicating separately with patrons. We are working towards a unified email communications strategy, and the results have been promising, both for internal stakeholders and patrons as well.
My role in these emails was to design and build the templates; additionally I build, route, edit and send them every week. I usually write the subject lines and do the final data testing before sending—targeted segments of our patrons receive reminders about everything from banked tickets donor benefits.
I also designed a monthly event calendar template:
These are driving a major increase in website traffic every time they’re sent; what’s more, we’re sending fewer overall campaigns and getting more bang for our buck. It’s been really gratifying to see this program get off the ground.
I first had the idea for this 404 page back in 2011. But I thought there was no way that our musicians would agree to it, so I kept putting off asking them. Then we had a long period of time where the musicians were locked out in a labor dispute, so of course lots of things got put on hold.
I finally worked up the courage to ask this summer, and the trombones loved the idea. I knew I wanted a video of #sadtrombone, but I didn’t really plan much beyond that.
The day I shot this video, I came back to my desk, sat down, and suddenly the copy just came to me and I quickly built the page. This was such a fun project and has been very well-received by orchestra fans. Special thanks to the Minnesota Orchestra trombone section for agreeing to do this!
It’s such a rare and wonderful thing when you have an idea that solves multiple problems. After the Orchestra made its big comeback last year, we identified several website-related problems in want of a solution.
In January of this year I was finally able to launch a project I’ve dreamed about since I started, five years ago: a redesign of the ticketing system. The simple reason this project took so long was that we lacked the internal resources to pull it off. When I got permission to hire the Orchestra’s very first web developer one year ago, this was the very first priority I had in mind.
My developer, a freelance designer, and I brainstormed what would be the best possible user experience for selecting seats for an orchestra concert and purchasing them, and then whittled down our list to what was actually possible within our existing ticketing system.
I art directed mockups and oversaw the project that brought us to a completely new and much more tablet-optimized ticketing experience (full mobile optimization is still forthcoming), launching just 7 months after our developer first started. For the full experience, visit minnesotaorchestra.org and click on any “BUY” button for a concert.
Here it is: one of the very first performing arts organizations in the Twin Cities to launch a responsive website, and one of the first Orchestras in the nation. I could not be prouder of my work on this website, which was lengthy and extensive. (View website).
This was my second overhaul of minnesotaorchestra.org since I started in March 2010, and this second launch exceeded even my own lofty goals.