I designed two new templates for a brand new email program launched this spring at the Minnesota Orchestra. The templates look simple, but the process for getting here was anything but:
Many arts organizations operate in silos—with marketing and fundraising departments communicating separately with patrons. We are working towards a unified email communications strategy, and the results have been promising, both for internal stakeholders and patrons as well.
Recent samples of the weekly newsletter: June 19, 2018 | July 3, 2018 | July 10, 2018
My role in these emails was to design and build the templates; additionally I build, route, edit and send them every week. I usually write the subject lines and do the final data testing before sending—targeted segments of our patrons receive reminders about everything from banked tickets donor benefits.
I also designed a monthly event calendar template:
This is sent to a larger audience every month. View the July 2018 email.
These are driving a major increase in website traffic every time they’re sent; what’s more, we’re sending fewer overall campaigns and getting more bang for our buck. It’s been really gratifying to see this program get off the ground.
It’s such a rare and wonderful thing when you have an idea that solves multiple problems. After the Orchestra made its big comeback last year, we identified several website-related problems in want of a solution.
Read more “Showcase”
In January of this year I was finally able to launch a project I’ve dreamed about since I started, five years ago: a redesign of the ticketing system. The simple reason this project took so long was that we lacked the internal resources to pull it off. When I got permission to hire the Orchestra’s very first web developer one year ago, this was the very first priority I had in mind.
My developer, a freelance designer, and I brainstormed what would be the best possible user experience for selecting seats for an orchestra concert and purchasing them, and then whittled down our list to what was actually possible within our existing ticketing system.
I art directed mockups and oversaw the project that brought us to a completely new and much more tablet-optimized ticketing experience (full mobile optimization is still forthcoming), launching just 7 months after our developer first started. For the full experience, visit minnesotaorchestra.org and click on any “BUY” button for a concert.
Read more “Online ticketing system”
Here it is: one of the very first performing arts organizations in the Twin Cities to launch a responsive website, and one of the first Orchestras in the nation. I could not be prouder of my work on this website, which was lengthy and extensive. (View website).
This was my second overhaul of minnesotaorchestra.org since I started in March 2010, and this second launch exceeded even my own lofty goals.
Read more “The all-new minnesotaorchestra.org”
Here’s a logo and tagline for an iPhone app and website project that is currently on hold. The idea was for an app that would be a handy way for people to make informed decisions while out doing their everyday shopping. This project was near to my heart (as I said to the developer, “I’m your target audience”), so hopefully it may end up becoming a real thing.
One of the most massive undertakings I’ve ever, well, undertaken. In the late fall of 2010 I began to completely re-think every aspect of minnesotaorchestra.org.
I started by taking stock of the content (and inhaling books on Content Strategy). Then I evaluated and chose Joomla as our content management system. An intense spring and summer of template creation, coding, testing, and re-coding followed.
The new website launched on September 27, 2011.
Read more “minnesotaorchestra.org”
My first few months at the Minnesota Orchestra were spent building three different microsites. None of these sites exist anymore; we moved away from the microsite concept over the next two years. Two of the three were built in ColdFusion, which powered the Orchestra’s old website.
Objective: promote Sommerfest concerts at Orchestra Hall
Role: design, code
Process: used design elements from print pieces to design a microsite and matching e-mail templates
Read more “Microsites”
Objective: design a new website featuring all of Star Tribune’s digital products.
Please note: this version of the website no longer exists. #sadtrombone
Hands down, this is one of the most fun projects I’ve ever done. Given a snowman illustration with three different outfits, I created MANY different gifs of this snowman experiencing different types of weather. He lived at the top of StarTribune.com for a year or two before the next redesign claimed him as a victim. RIP Snowman!
Click here to view all of my snowman animations.
Shop Minnesota was a StarTribune.com mini-site for several years. The idea was to provide an online marketplace for local retailers—especially small businesses that couldn’t afford custom website development at that time.
I worked with a product manager to produce original content for Shop Minnesota’s homepage, including these Mother’s Day and Father’s Day themes.
My role: photography, design, and coding. Click the image to see a larger screenshot.