The marketing team at the orchestra has been talking about updating the UI of our Subscriptions landing page for quite some time now. The old page was very utilitarian, had links to ALL THE THINGS that people could buy, and had lots of useful information. Trouble was, it felt underwhelming and had signal-to-noise issues:
The hierarchy was almost non-existent, and the benefits to subscribing were actually hidden behind little expanding menus. Full disclosure: this was my idea! In trying to reduce the amount of text on the page, I hid important selling points.
The new design is much more streamlined and looks great on mobile:
One of the nice features of the new design is that we’ll have added flexibility to feature certain packages with a nice large image at the top when we’re running promotions.
I also liked my co-worker’s idea of just consolidating all the benefits at the top and calling out the one benefit that is different for each type of subscription package.
Additionally, we can easily update the images used to promote each type of package, helping the page feel more fresh and timely.
See the page live on the website.
It’s such a rare and wonderful thing when you have an idea that solves multiple problems. After the Orchestra made its big comeback last year, we identified several website-related problems in want of a solution.
Read more “Showcase”
In January of this year I was finally able to launch a project I’ve dreamed about since I started, five years ago: a redesign of the ticketing system. The simple reason this project took so long was that we lacked the internal resources to pull it off. When I got permission to hire the Orchestra’s very first web developer one year ago, this was the very first priority I had in mind.
My developer, a freelance designer, and I brainstormed what would be the best possible user experience for selecting seats for an orchestra concert and purchasing them, and then whittled down our list to what was actually possible within our existing ticketing system.
I art directed mockups and oversaw the project that brought us to a completely new and much more tablet-optimized ticketing experience (full mobile optimization is still forthcoming), launching just 7 months after our developer first started. For the full experience, visit minnesotaorchestra.org and click on any “BUY” button for a concert.
Read more “Online ticketing system”
Here it is: one of the very first performing arts organizations in the Twin Cities to launch a responsive website, and one of the first Orchestras in the nation. I could not be prouder of my work on this website, which was lengthy and extensive. (View website).
This was my second overhaul of minnesotaorchestra.org since I started in March 2010, and this second launch exceeded even my own lofty goals.
Read more “The all-new minnesotaorchestra.org”
One of the most massive undertakings I’ve ever, well, undertaken. In the late fall of 2010 I began to completely re-think every aspect of minnesotaorchestra.org.
I started by taking stock of the content (and inhaling books on Content Strategy). Then I evaluated and chose Joomla as our content management system. An intense spring and summer of template creation, coding, testing, and re-coding followed.
The new website launched on September 27, 2011.
Read more “minnesotaorchestra.org”
My first few months at the Minnesota Orchestra were spent building three different microsites. None of these sites exist anymore; we moved away from the microsite concept over the next two years. Two of the three were built in ColdFusion, which powered the Orchestra’s old website.
Objective: promote Sommerfest concerts at Orchestra Hall
Role: design, code
Process: used design elements from print pieces to design a microsite and matching e-mail templates
Read more “Microsites”
Objective: design a new website featuring all of Star Tribune’s digital products.
Please note: this version of the website no longer exists. #sadtrombone