It’s such a rare and wonderful thing when you have an idea that solves multiple problems. After the Orchestra made its big comeback last year, we identified several website-related problems in want of a solution.
In January of this year I was finally able to launch a project I’ve dreamed about since I started, five years ago: a redesign of the ticketing system. The simple reason this project took so long was that we lacked the internal resources to pull it off. When I got permission to hire the Orchestra’s very first web developer one year ago, this was the very first priority I had in mind.
My developer, a freelance designer, and I brainstormed what would be the best possible user experience for selecting seats for an orchestra concert and purchasing them, and then whittled down our list to what was actually possible within our existing ticketing system.
I art directed mockups and oversaw the project that brought us to a completely new and much more tablet-optimized ticketing experience (full mobile optimization is still forthcoming), launching just 7 months after our developer first started. For the full experience, visit minnesotaorchestra.org and click on any “BUY” button for a concert.
Here it is: one of the very first performing arts organizations in the Twin Cities to launch a responsive website, and one of the first Orchestras in the nation. I could not be prouder of my work on this website, which was lengthy and extensive. (View website).
This was my second overhaul of minnesotaorchestra.org since I started in March 2010, and this second launch exceeded even my own lofty goals.
My article “Growing Up: Vertical gardens offer many benefits,” along with several photographs and a bonus recipe, is available in the current issue of Edible Twin Cities. So exciting to see my name in print! This magazine is available at most Twin Cities Co-ops and other places where Minnesota food and drink enthusiasts gather.
Please note: Edible Twin Cities ceased publication in 2014. Sad.
Here’s a logo and tagline for an iPhone app and website project that is currently on hold. The idea was for an app that would be a handy way for people to make informed decisions while out doing their everyday shopping. This project was near to my heart (as I said to the developer, “I’m your target audience”), so hopefully it may end up becoming a real thing.
Bearded iris, from my 2012 Memorial Day Phenology Photoshoot. (Say that 10 times fast!)
One of the most massive undertakings I’ve ever, well, undertaken. In the late fall of 2010 I began to completely re-think every aspect of minnesotaorchestra.org.
I started by taking stock of the content (and inhaling books on Content Strategy). Then I evaluated and chose Joomla as our content management system. An intense spring and summer of template creation, coding, testing, and re-coding followed.
The new website launched on September 27, 2011.
My first few months at the Minnesota Orchestra were spent building three different microsites. None of these sites exist anymore; we moved away from the microsite concept over the next two years. Two of the three were built in ColdFusion, which powered the Orchestra’s old website.
Objective: promote Sommerfest concerts at Orchestra Hall
Role: design, code
Process: used design elements from print pieces to design a microsite and matching e-mail templates